Manager of Cedar Grove Cemetery
Leon Glon has served the University of Notre Dame at Cedar Grove Cemetery for over 30 years. Staring as a groundskeeper, he moved up to a crew leader, then sexton, and finally, manager.
A certified Catholic cemetery executive, Glon places the utmost emphasis on fulfilling the mission of the cemetery to provide a dignified Christian burial to members of the Notre Dame community. Faculty, staff, and retirees of the University may purchase in-ground plots for burial. Alumni may purchase crypts or niches in the Our Lady of Sorrows mausoleum complex.
Cedar Grove Cemetery was established in 1843 by Fr. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., a year after he founded the University of Notre Dame. The cemetery's historic All Souls Chapel was built in the 1850's. After two significant expansions in 1977 and 1999, the cemetery now encompasses 22 acres and will serve the Notre Dame community for generations to come.